Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Pasta with Beets and Feta

I had moved to the town we are currently residing in almost a year and a half ago.  My first "people" that I bonded with were the librarians at the Public Library.  Nancy runs the children's portion of the library, complete with a crown.  Yes, a crown.  And she deserves it.   She is an avid gardener and was telling me about this recipe she makes for her daughter, Mary, who is Vegetarian.  I was salivating.  She sent me the recipe and when I made it I thought I had died and gone to heaven.  It's another one of those recipes that totally scores because everyone loves it.  Of course the children also love that it turns their pee and poo pink...alright, I happen to find it funny too!  Whatever.
Nancy's original recipe calls for Oranges instead of Clementines, I use whichever I have on hand.  Both ways are delicious.  I also add Arugula to the Beet Greens because #1 I always have Arugula in my fridge and #2 I love greens.  The best part of this recipe is that it is amazing hot, room temp or right out of the fridge.



Here's what you need:
  • 6-8 fresh beets, with greens
  • Clementines, enough for 3/4 cup juice.  I used 10.
  • 1-2 Limes
  • Zest from 3 Clementines and 1/2 lime
  • 1/2 cup Olive Oil
  • 5 Garlic Cloves, minced
  • Arugula, 1 large handful
  • Beet Greens, chopped
  • 1-1 1/2 cups Feta
  • 1 pound of Pasta, your choice

Roasting beets is easy peasy...cut the tops off and the little "tail".  DO NOT peel them.  Just some Olive Oil, Salt and Pepper and a cookie sheet...throw them in a 375˚ oven for about 40 minutes.  A paring knife should easily pierce the beets when they are done.  I also have done this step the night before if I have the oven on anyway...little bit of a time saver for me.  Once the beets are cooled you can peel them very easily. Then cube them and set them aside.
I grab the largest pan I have and add the Olive Oil and chopped garlic.  I know 1/2 cup sounds like a lot but it's going to make the sauce for all of that goodness.  Get the garlic nice and golden...not too much though, overcooked garlic is bitter and nasty.
Once the garlic is smelling good add in the juice from both citrus' and let it reduce for about 10 minutes.  Add in the Beets, Salt and Pepper and let it simmer while your pasta is cooking.  When the pasta is almost done add in the greens to the saute pan with the beets and let them wilt.  It won't take long.
 Drain the pasta (no need to save any of the pasta water this time around.) and put it back in the pot it came from.  Add all the goodness from the saute pan to the pot and mix it well.  I usually add half the Feta at this point and keep the rest for the table for people to add as they see fit.  This post is almost finished so I won't rant about my love for cheese...this time!
Bon Appetit...it's time to eat!

5 comments:

  1. I love the look of the new site! Since I love love love anything beet this is a must try! I can't wait to have this with the beets from my garden and I love feta by the pound. yummy! Thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you B! Of course you love beets and feta...you're my person! LOL!

      Delete
  2. I am making this now... SO excited.. I bet YOU wish you were a fly on the wall! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. K I'm so excited for you and C!!! Pink boobie milk here you come! LOL!!!

      Delete
  3. When searching for "Appliance Repair Gatineau", Doctor Appliance technicians are here for you. Are you searching for, "Fridge Repair Gatineau", "Dryer Repair Gatineau", "Oven Repair Gatineau", "Dishwasher Repair Gatineau", or have any other broken appliance, call Doctor Appliance for service in Gatineau, Hull, Aylmer, Chelsea, Wakefield, Buckingham and more. If you need to have a broken appliance repaired, or are looking to replace a broken appliance with a new one, our skilled appliance technicians in Gatineau can help. Take advantage of affordable and fast appliance repair services. See our 5 star appliance repair reviews on Google. Call 613-606-6038 now for free same day Gatineau appliance repair services. appliance repair gatineau

    ReplyDelete