Sunday, August 12, 2012

Frittata with Goat Cheese

As I've said before, having a frittata in my "bag of Mommy tricks" makes life a little bit easier for me.  Of course you don't have to be a Mommy to have a bag of tricks...everyone should have said bag and an amazing frittata is a good item to included in it!  Let's also remember that a frittata can be eaten for any meal, as a main or side dish.  Versatile...capital V.  You can put any fillings and cheeses that you wish as well in it.  I always use the base of onion, garlic, 10 eggs and milk.  The rest is all up to you really.  I love that!  This was a dish I had made for some of my favorites (non-family favorites that is!).  It was a huge hit and it does my heart good to cook for people I adore.  It's a win-win in my book.
I love serving the frittata right on the cutting board!

Here's What You Need:
  • 1 Large Shallot, sliced
  • 2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
  • 2 Small Zucchini, sliced
  • 2 Small yellow Squash, sliced
  • 2 Portabello Mushrooms, chopped
  • ½ Cup Arugula, chopped
  • ¼ Cup (total) Basil and Parsley, chopped
  • 4 Ounces Goat Cheese
  • 10 Large Eggs
  • ½ Cup Milk, whatever "strength" you like
  • Oven proof pan (mine is a 12")
  • Trader Joe's Red Pepper Spread with Eggplant and Garlic, optional

Preheat your oven to 350℉

I find myself not even bothering to put Olive Oil, Salt and Pepper on the ingredient list because really, in my opinion it's just a given that you will need them to cook any savory dish well.  So with that said, get  2-3 tablespoons of Olive Oil in your pan and saute the shallot for a few minutes on medium to medium high, then add in the garlic and S & P.  Once you can smell the garlic (about 45 seconds) it's time to get the zucchini and squash in your pan.  A little more S & P here again.  Give them 2-3 minutes and then add in your mushrooms and cook it all for a good 7-10 minutes.  The times will be different if you like less color on your veggies.  I caramelize mine quite a bit.  While the vegetables are happily sauteing away in your pan you can get your eggs and milk prepared in a bowl.  Whisk them together and add a little bit of S & P.  See what I mean about salt and pepper?  The arugula won't take any time at all to cook so add it once you're happy with where your other fillings are at and then go ahead and toss in your herbs.  Thyme would also be good or tarragon or...let me stop now.

So now you are ready to add in the eggs but here's the thing...spread out your filling in the pan as evenly as you can, you shouldn't be able to see the bottom of the pan, and turn your fire down to medium low.  Now take the egg/milk mixture and slowly pour it over the veggies so they aren't disturbed.  You want to have vegetables and egg in every delicious bite.  So your eggs are in the pan and while you are waiting for them to set along the edges you can add in your goat cheese.  I get my goat cheese in log form, not crumbled.  I prefer to crumble it myself...don't ask why.  It's just another one of those OCD quirky things about me.  There are many.  ❤

Once the edges of your eggs start to set and the middle is still very "soupy" put your pan of goodness into the oven on the middle rack.  Let it bake for 13-15 minutes, the egg should now be set in the middle.  The pie will come right out of the pan, I always just slide it out onto a cutting board and serve it like that at the table.
Along with a salad this is a perfect dinner!

Oh and let me tell you...the TJ's Red Pepper Spread is so good alongside the frittata but not necessary.  I really also enjoy it with some grilled bread.  I have a love affair with all things Trader Joe...don't get me started on their Pinot Grigio that goes for a whopping $3.50 tee hee hee!
This is what you would look for!

Bon Appetit...it's time to eat!
Kathi

7 comments:

  1. This frittata looks delicious! I love making frittatas and adore goat cheese...actually have some goat cheese in my refrigerator right now so I can whip this up! Great flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! Thanks for joining Foodie Friends Friday! www.foodiefriendsfriday.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lois! I've made it for different occasions and it's always a huge hit! :-)

      Delete
  3. I love frittatas and this looks amazing! What a great use for summer veggies. Thanks for sharing at Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsey it really is so versatile...I just throw in what I have in my fridge at times! LOL!

      Delete
  4. This looks absolutely amazing and I am going to have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday and I hope you come back next week.
    http://marlys-thisandthat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete