Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Black Bean Soup

Let's talk about soup for a minute.  I love it and I don't care what the weather is outside.  I always pack mine full of goodness so it makes me feel like I'm being well behaved also.  Ha!
So I started my "Let's Try and Be Mindful of What I Am Eating Diet" today and I had everything I needed to make this fantastic soup for lunch.  I mean it's really incredibly easy so I always make sure I have the ingredients tucked away in my pantry.  Yes.  My pantry.  You can make this recipe with completely fresh ingredients by fire roasting the tomatoes, shucking the corn and removing the kernels, soaking the beans the night before then cook them forever...I mean really.  I could go on but if you have a great  brand of beans and frozen corn at the ready, this recipe comes together in 20 minutes tops.  I don't like spending more than 20 minutes on preparing lunch personally so it's always about repurposing the leftovers or something super quick.  It's just how I like do to things.  Don't get me wrong here, most of the time I  use fresh ingredients over canned but when it comes to canned beans and frozen corn, both are good substitutes.

Here's what you need:
  • Olive Oil 2-3 Tablespoons
  • 1 Onion, Chopped (about a cup, if it's a little more it won't kill the dish)
  • 4 cloves Garlic, Chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
  • 1 teaspoon Oregano
  • 1 teaspoon Thyme
  • 3 Bay Leaves
  • 1 can Chopped Green Chili's
  • 1 can Fire Roasted Tomatoes
  • 2 cups Corn, frozen or fresh
  • 2 cans Black Beans, drained and rinsed
  • 6 cups Vegetable Stock (Chicken Stock works here too)
I always use a large stock pot for this recipe and add the olive oil and onions to saute.  After about 3 minutes add in the garlic and let it cook for a minute or so.  Again, do not let it burn!  I've said it a million times and I will continue to say it...burned garlic is nasty and bitter.  You can also add in the spices, get them nice and toasty for the bean party.  I get happy at this point because it smells amazing.  Oh happy day!  Here comes the hard part...throw everything else into the pot.  Try not to break out into a sweat.  Have you all gotten used to my sarcasm yet?   ☺
I have also made this in my crock pot in the morning and it's ready by lunch.  The only difference is that I get the onions and garlic nice and golden in a saute pan then the spices go in to toast and off to the crock pot they go...then add the remaining ingredients into the pot.  Mine works great on simmer but use your judgement with yours.
 I often pair this soup with a green salad or a fantastic fresh bread if I'm not on my "Let's Try and Be Mindful of What I'm Eating Diet"!
Bon Appetit...it's time to eat!

4 comments:

  1. In your post you talked about corn but I do not see it in your recipe. Help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I fixed the oversight...much appreciated! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! Tried it for lunch today and it was a big hit with the whole family. Next time I'm going to put a few slices of ripe avocado on top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! Sounds like a great addition! Avocado is one of my all time favorites!

      Delete